Employing overseas chefs and cooks

© immi.gov.au

English language requirements

Most primary subclass 457 applications for chefs and cooks must demonstrate that they have English language proficiency. For applications where evidence can be provided that the visa holder will be earning above a specified salary level, the applicant will be exempt from the English language requirement. For ENS/RSMS all applicants must demonstrate they have adequate English language proficiency.

Working Holiday visa

Chefs or cooks in Australia on a Working Holiday visa may be employed for a maximum of six months with each employer provided the work remains incidental to the holiday. While in Australia, Working Holiday visa holders may be sponsored for a subclass 457 visa by an approved sponsor.

General skilled migration state/territory sponsorship

It is intended that state and territory governments will be able to sponsor migrants in occupations with proven shortages through a migration plan. Plans may include occupations that are not on the Skilled Occupation List for independent migration, such as cooks or chefs, where evidence of skill shortages is presented.

Migration plans will enable state and territory governments to tailor the profile of skilled migrants in their areas in line with skill needs and development objectives.

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

VEVO is a free online resource that allows employers to check the visa entitlements of a visa holder and to confirm a visa holder’s entitlement to work in Australia. Employers should register for the work entitlements category. This will enable the registered organisation to check the work entitlements of a prospective employee.

Supplementing your Australian workforce

Employers unable to find chefs or cooks through the Australian labour market or through their own training efforts have many options to attract overseas workers.

Temporary Business (subclass 457) visa

The subclass 457 visa program provides a fast and flexible way to recruit skilled workers and is the preferred temporary residence visa for employers seeking chefs and cooks from overseas. The subclass 457 visa allows an initial visa grant of up to four years.

Sponsoring a subclass 457 applicant

To sponsor subclass 457 visa holders, an employer needs to be an approved business sponsor. To become a sponsor, an employer must:
• be a lawfully operating Australian business
• have a demonstrated commitment to employing local labour and non-discriminatory employment practices
• have nothing adverse known about the business or a person associated with the business
• have demonstrated a commitment to training Australian workers.

Permanent entry

Generally, overseas chefs and cooks must be under 45 years of age, have English language skills, qualifications and work experience to be eligible for permanent migration.

Employer Nomination Scheme

The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) enables employers to sponsor highly skilled workers. Skilled workers can be recruited either from overseas, or from people in Australia who are on a qualifying visa. Employers must be lawfully operating in Australia and the position must provide full-time employment for at least three years

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS ) is similar to the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) except it allows for employers in regional areas to provide full-time employment in Australia for two years.

Skilled Graduate (subclass 485) visa

Overseas students who do not meet the criteria for general skilled migration may apply for the subclass 485 visa to remain in Australia for 18 months to gain skilled work experience or improve their English language skills. As a holder of this visa, they may apply for permanent residence at any time if they are able to pass the general skilled migration points test.

Assessing skills

Chefs and cooks applying for a subclass 457 visa may be required to undertake a skills assessment through Trades Recognition Australia (TRA). The skills assessment will seek to determine if chefs and cooks are capable and can demonstrate they have adequate knowledge of the position.

ENS applications require a satisfactory skills assessment from an Australian assessing authority and three years post qualification work experience in the nominated occupation.

It is recommended that employers conduct their own assessments before sponsoring an overseas worker.

Comment on this post

shan
March 04, 2014 03:45:22

I have done my commercial cookery certifice Level iii, and Level iv and I'm having relevent working experience and how can I apply for any bridging visa with full of working righys

sanjeev
January 10, 2014 07:22:14

Hi..I want just inquiries about my brother he did complete bechlour degree in hotel management from India in 2013 after that how much experience he need get for Australia 457 as a cook visa?

shreeram bhattarai
November 27, 2013 17:22:16

Hi my name is shree I have done my certificate 3 of 1 year and working as a cook since 1 year. now my employer willing to do sponsor . Can I apply for it. Right now I am on dependent visa my wife is a student plz ssuggest me. Thanks

Shaikh Salam Kazi
November 03, 2013 02:56:45

Dear Sir,My name is Shaikh Salam Kazi. I live in Chiba-Ken, Tokyo, Japan.  regarding the IELTS test in which I received an overall score of 3.0. An Indian Restaurant employee in Australia in Sunshine Coast, Queensland who is willing to sponsor me to work as an Indian Tandoor Chef and provide me with the paperwork. I have an overall experience of 15 years in this area. Is it possible for me to directly apply for Permanent Residency with this IELTS score and apply to work for this employee. If this is possible than could you kindly provide me with the details such as immigration fee, lawyer fee and other fees with other important details such as the duration of the P.R. process. I will be waiting for your reply. Thank You for your time. Yours Sincerely, Shaikh Salam Kazi

shaliina
August 26, 2013 04:22:11

hi,there.i am on a 457 visa working as a cook in a restaurant.i have been working there for the past one year and I have a work experience of four years from overseas as a chef.i have completed my cert 3 and 4 of commericial cookery from Australia.is it possible for me to apply for PR in a years work experience or do I have to wait for two years...... thanks

Santhosh
August 25, 2013 01:37:08

Hi,I am Santhosh from India, I would like to apply for PR, do I need degree certificate attestation from Australian High Commision from India. Please advise me in what attestation need for my degree certificate. Already my certicate attested by apostele. Thanks you for your reply, Regards. Santhosh

Ramandeep kaur
July 22, 2013 04:13:45

Hi I have certificate 3 and diploma in commercial cookery and I want to apply 457 visa now what I need to do and is it possible to apply 457 visa through this thanks.

Sukh
June 06, 2013 19:57:05

Hi I m sukh I did business management Can I apply for restaurant manager on 457 visa

Kanwal
May 14, 2013 11:52:48

Hi .. I have done certi 3 in hospitality and diploma in hospitality .... I want apply 457 visa ......is it possible??

smandeep singh
May 03, 2013 10:24:08

i have done diploma in commercial cookery and diploma of business management... i am working as a plasterer , my boss willing to sponsor me can i get 457 visa??

Ramandeep kaur
May 02, 2013 01:15:39

hi i have done certificate iii in commercial cookery and diploma in hospitality,can i eligible for applying for applying 457 visa.thanks

Ranjit Uppal
April 23, 2013 19:37:14

Hi there, My name is ranjit. I have done my certificate three in commercial cookery. Can I get sponserd for 457 visa only on bases of my certificate three. Thanks

Harpreet
April 10, 2013 06:46:10

Hi it's harpreet.i have finished dip.of business management nd cert-111 in commercial cookery.nd working as client service manager.so can my boss applied offshore Sponsership.thax. Look forward to hear u.

Guri Dhillon
April 03, 2013 03:56:58

Hi sir am guri..I have done one year diploma of business management and my boss sponsor me for as a manager..I can apply for 457 visa..

Jack
March 23, 2013 01:48:39

Hi I have done certificate 4 in business and diploma of business . I have sponsorship . What requirement I need

bhavi
March 14, 2013 02:47:28

i have done certificate 3 in commercial cookery and experience of 3yrs and 7month and cook and now as chef full time m i eligible for 457 or any other visa category my english test prove me as score of 7 band each

Rajvinder
March 10, 2013 04:09:47

Hi there i am looking for a sponsor . I have 457 visa but I want to change my employer for some reason . Can u help me for this.

Tracy
March 03, 2013 02:35:28

Hi, I'm Tracy. I'm planning to do certificate 3 and 4 in commercial cookery? Is it possible if an Chinese restaurant would like to sponsor me as a Cook? Is there any problems if I study about commercial cookery but work for Chinese restaurant? My IELTS is overall 6.0 and no band is less than 5. Thanks

mani
February 15, 2013 19:08:02

hi sir i want to know that i m working in indian restaurant and my employer ready to sponcer me in 457 visa subclass and i have certificate 4 in commercial cookery and certificate 4 in hospitality management.i want to know should i need a tra assessment if yes what r the requirement for tra.thank you plz answer me .

Dawn
February 08, 2013 06:54:07

Want to emergrate to Australia my hubby is qualified chef but he is 53 is that too old?

Supicha
February 07, 2013 19:39:54

Hello I would like to asking about What's Visa I can apply next, after I'm finishing of Advance Diploma Commercial cookery in 08 November, 2013. This course will complete with 93 weeks studied. I have been in Australia almost 3 year with studied and working (20 hours per week) in the cook position two and half years experience. Could please give me information. Which Visa can I apply next. Regards,

Jun
February 01, 2013 04:50:44

dear sir or madam my name is Jun and i have been working as a chef since 2002 august including Nepal, Sydney Australia, and United Kingdom. i want to move permanently Australia so far, i have completed bachelors degree from Nepal and 1 yr Diploma in Hospitality management from Sydney. now i am working as a sous chef in one of the chain successful restaurant in united kingdom. and i had given IELTS as well. the score was 5.5 overall. 6,6,5.5,4.5, speaking, writing, listening and reading respectively. so please let me know if i am eligible for the residency for AUS. and i am married as well. thank you regards Jun

Shaikh
January 20, 2013 04:53:39

Dear Sir, My name is Shaikh Salam Kazi. I live in Chiba-Ken, Tokyo, Japan. I regarding the IELTS test in which I received an overall score of 3.0. An Indian Restaurant employee in Australia in Sunshine Coast, Queensland who is willing to sponsor me to work as an Indian Tandoor Chef and provide me with the paperwork. I have an overall experience of 15 years in this area. Is it possible for me to directly apply for Permanent Residency with this IELTS score and apply to work for this employee. If this is possible than could you kindly provide me with the details such as immigration fee, lawyer fee and other fees with other important details such as the duration of the P.R. process. I will be waiting for your reply. Thank You for your time.   Yours Sincerely, Shaikh Salam Kazi

sukh
December 12, 2012 23:38:39

I completed cer three in asian cookery.i did diploma and advance diploma in hospitalty.is TRA assesment is nucessary for apply457 visa.or what requirements i need to fullfill.

Indu
November 07, 2012 06:22:01

I am on bridging visa a, I have cert111 in cookery and diploma of buissness managent of one year can I apply 457 as a cook

manjit kaur
November 05, 2012 22:11:16

hi there my self manjit kaur from india. i got 4 year exp as cook and tandoori cook .i used to run a Indian takeaway i nsw . i studied hospitality management and commercial cookery from Brisbane . then i have to leave country . so i am looking for 457 visa .i will really thankful to you .

Sid
October 19, 2012 22:38:04

Hi this is Sid i got 457 visa october 2012 , how long I have to wait to convert 457 to pr , and whats English requirement thanks

hiral
September 19, 2012 08:03:52

i have completed cert 3 in commercial cookery and diploma in business.and i have a experiance of 1year of part time in australia (paid) . and 1 year of full time in india . as a cook. but i just finish my cert 3 now. my employer want to sponsor me . can i apply for 457? so pls reply me ASAP. THANK YOU.

sid
August 23, 2012 17:32:20

I have a 485 visa which expires in july 2013. I have found an employer willing to sponsor me. Which visa do i apply for.. the RSMS 857?

usha
July 30, 2012 03:53:48

Hi, i have finished my diploma of hairdressing and i have done diploma of business management and diploma of business and marketing. i have sponcer in regional area but i dont have my english requirment each 6.0.can i apply now for 457 visa but can i apply for RSMS visa ones i get 457 visa.That meas can i convert my 457 visa in RSMA when i get english requirment.

san
July 29, 2012 10:59:52

Hello...its been only two months i m in 457 visa ..before that i had worked 5 yrs as a part time in same buisness and in same company..so i want apply permanent residence as soon as i can..am i eligble to apply for residence if yes whats the procesd...

neha
July 23, 2012 21:20:14

i have studied community welfare,diploma and advance diploma in business management, am i eligable for 457 visa and have a pr.

josh
July 16, 2012 22:56:20

i've been living in australia for 10 years now and working as a chef last 4 years, am i eligible for permanent residency?

satish negi
July 15, 2012 15:54:14

Hi, I am studying in malaysia , diploma in hotel and catering , ii just want to know after finish my diploma , is there any options to apply for australia, as between i m also working a partime work and i havea i year expereince in reputed resturants... i worked as a cashier/server, and in kitchen also .... pls let me know weather is there any options to apply between my diploma ....

Raman
July 02, 2012 09:00:57

Hi,I have finished my advance diploma in hospitality management with cert 111 in commercial cookery.Am I eligible to apply for 457 visa as a cook. I don't have cert 1V.is advance diploma has a same value as cert 1V in cookery. Thanks Raman

sailesh
June 15, 2012 18:16:53

hi i got 457 visa and i want to apply pernment residence what is the requirment for me ??? i have 4 years (20 hours per week) working experiance as a cook and i have not apply for TRA .. what should i do please let me know thanx...:)

Lulu
June 10, 2012 19:49:25

Hi, I've completed an Australian Diploma in Hospitality and also an Advanced Diploma in Management. Have over 3 years local (Australian) experience as a cook. I now have a sponsor willing to employ me on a 457 Visa (SBS already approved). Do I need to complete a skills assessment for a cook, even when I have an Australian qualification as cook?

Prabhjot
May 25, 2012 03:46:51

hi,i am working as a cook in south Australia.i want to apply for a 457 visa.i need a pass skill assessment test.thanks reply me ASAP

Biju Shrestha
April 11, 2012 10:43:52

Hi, i have been trying to find job in australia in kitchen dept.i have completed diploma in culinary arts from cyprus in 2012, and more than 3 years of experience in on of the restaurant in cyprus as Assistant Head Chef.what are tha requirement do i need to find employer.

sandeep kaur
March 20, 2012 10:34:45

hi! this is sandeep. i have done advance diploma and cert 3 in cookery and on bridging visa. i am wondering that i am living in WA so will it be beneficial if i got rsms sponsorship? what will be the requirement for me and to my employer?thanks...........!!!!!!!!

Raj kapoor
January 24, 2012 05:01:31

i have done hotel management in 2007, from last 4 years , i m working in kitchen as chef. now i have got employer in australia offering me job on 457 basis. so what all test i have to qualify for imigration.?

Mohandas
December 26, 2011 00:14:53

hi, I and my wife living in melboune australia i finished my diploma in haspitality in melboune. now i am in bridging visa 485, can you help me to get a regional employer sponsorship for RSMS visa. by mohnadas

Bains
September 04, 2011 20:15:36

I have applied for my tr in 2009 on the basis on cook experience and qualification. Can I apply for my pr on the basis of I year experience now 20 hours per week.

AKINMOYEDE KOLAWOLE
July 31, 2011 16:43:07

I NEED A JOB IN THE 457 VISA CLASS

Amar
July 10, 2011 04:40:40

I have finished with my diploma in hospitality and certificate 3 in commercial cookery and have been applied for 485 visa currently on bridging visa ,can I apply for PR and how.thanks

vikramjit
May 22, 2011 21:04:06

hi we have been living in Australia from 4years my wife has done advance diploma in hospitality management in commercial cookery.I want to apply for rsms visa . do u have any oppertunity for us. plz answer then we can contact u as soon as possible.

Pawan kumar
April 25, 2011 03:45:35

My 457 visa is apply by an australian citigen(Propietor) one month ago in australia immigration office. I have an experience of more than 3 year's in tandoor dept. And having hotel management diploma of one year. And senior secondry school pass. Can my experience and qualification is applicable for this visa 457 for 2 year.

Jeff
April 22, 2011 17:05:19

I have a question on the rsms? If a p.r. Visa is working for a company that they are not happy working with but finds another regional sponsor and resigns formally and goes to work under the new sponsor will there be any threat for this person to lose their visa?

Tina
March 31, 2011 01:31:27

Hey, Just wondering if you do apply 457 visa for workers at all? Kind regards Tina

Leave your comment here

* these are required fields

Name : *

This name will be published with your comment

Email address (must be valid) : *