Employing overseas chefs and cooks

© immi.gov.au

English language requirements

Most primary subclass 457 applications for chefs and cooks must demonstrate that they have English language proficiency. For applications where evidence can be provided that the visa holder will be earning above a specified salary level, the applicant will be exempt from the English language requirement. For ENS/RSMS all applicants must demonstrate they have adequate English language proficiency.

Working Holiday visa

Chefs or cooks in Australia on a Working Holiday visa may be employed for a maximum of six months with each employer provided the work remains incidental to the holiday. While in Australia, Working Holiday visa holders may be sponsored for a subclass 457 visa by an approved sponsor.

General skilled migration state/territory sponsorship

It is intended that state and territory governments will be able to sponsor migrants in occupations with proven shortages through a migration plan. Plans may include occupations that are not on the Skilled Occupation List for independent migration, such as cooks or chefs, where evidence of skill shortages is presented.

Migration plans will enable state and territory governments to tailor the profile of skilled migrants in their areas in line with skill needs and development objectives.

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

VEVO is a free online resource that allows employers to check the visa entitlements of a visa holder and to confirm a visa holder’s entitlement to work in Australia. Employers should register for the work entitlements category. This will enable the registered organisation to check the work entitlements of a prospective employee.

Supplementing your Australian workforce

Employers unable to find chefs or cooks through the Australian labour market or through their own training efforts have many options to attract overseas workers.

Temporary Business (subclass 457) visa

The subclass 457 visa program provides a fast and flexible way to recruit skilled workers and is the preferred temporary residence visa for employers seeking chefs and cooks from overseas. The subclass 457 visa allows an initial visa grant of up to four years.

Sponsoring a subclass 457 applicant

To sponsor subclass 457 visa holders, an employer needs to be an approved business sponsor. To become a sponsor, an employer must:
• be a lawfully operating Australian business
• have a demonstrated commitment to employing local labour and non-discriminatory employment practices
• have nothing adverse known about the business or a person associated with the business
• have demonstrated a commitment to training Australian workers.

Permanent entry

Generally, overseas chefs and cooks must be under 45 years of age, have English language skills, qualifications and work experience to be eligible for permanent migration.

Employer Nomination Scheme

The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) enables employers to sponsor highly skilled workers. Skilled workers can be recruited either from overseas, or from people in Australia who are on a qualifying visa. Employers must be lawfully operating in Australia and the position must provide full-time employment for at least three years

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS ) is similar to the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) except it allows for employers in regional areas to provide full-time employment in Australia for two years.

Skilled Graduate (subclass 485) visa

Overseas students who do not meet the criteria for general skilled migration may apply for the subclass 485 visa to remain in Australia for 18 months to gain skilled work experience or improve their English language skills. As a holder of this visa, they may apply for permanent residence at any time if they are able to pass the general skilled migration points test.

Assessing skills

Chefs and cooks applying for a subclass 457 visa may be required to undertake a skills assessment through Trades Recognition Australia (TRA). The skills assessment will seek to determine if chefs and cooks are capable and can demonstrate they have adequate knowledge of the position.

ENS applications require a satisfactory skills assessment from an Australian assessing authority and three years post qualification work experience in the nominated occupation.

It is recommended that employers conduct their own assessments before sponsoring an overseas worker.

Comment on this post

BabuRam Sharma
August 25, 2017 03:51:52

What do i write in the comment uutili get Austrila's visa

Jefferson O. Jose
June 19, 2017 12:57:14

Applying for a job finished hospitality management major in culinary arts thank you. Please notice me

February 15, 2017 08:29:07

Hi my name is Ravinder I completed my 2 year on 457 visa. Now I m going to apply new nomination under new company . But I completed certificate 3 in cookery someone told me I need certificate 4 in cookery for new nomination is that true? Please reply me Thanks

December 10, 2016 03:59:58

Hi i am charuka . I have 6 years experience as aitalin chef. i work in singapore for 5 years plus sri lanka one year. I am looking for a place where i can make pizza and pasta😊😊😊

taj muhammad
November 29, 2016 17:03:47

am chinese cook...I can prepare chinese food I have more then 6 years experience in this field

Padma lama
November 07, 2016 20:23:39

Hello, Respected Sir /Madame. I have got 11 yrs of cooking food in chinese cuisine and Indian cuisine.I'm currently head chef in restaurant at UAE. I have completed High School certification.what will be a band score for Australia cook visa?Could you please inform ielts band score for me sir?.I have Excellency in chinese food as well in Indian tandoori grill food.plz inform me sir?

Sanjog subedi
October 25, 2016 03:48:00

hello sir I want to apply 457 visa on cook position. I have got 1 year and 1 months of experience as a cook from my own country and here in Australia I have got 1 year 8 months of experience as a cook and 3.5 months as a kitchen hand. So altogether I have got the experience of 3 years of experience in the kitchen. With that am I be eligible to apply for the 457 visa.

ranjeet singh
July 12, 2016 04:20:32

hi sir, I ranjeet singh I done certificate 3 in 2008 and diploma in 2009 from amberly institute in Australia. I got TRA as well in 2009 but in 2010 I back to india and doing work here as a chef in hotel I have 5 years experience as well and I want to come in Australia on 457 visa can you suggest me how I get that plz replay as soon as possible thank you.

June 20, 2016 08:08:18

Hiii I completed my certificate 4 in commericaly cookery from kangan institute of tafe (certificate 4=1year)' i did after that i will do diploma of hospitality soo these only requirements for sponsership.

Aaron stobbs
May 29, 2016 07:02:37

I am chef of twenty with no how in to making money in catering hospitality will to do extra to seal the job I would to find work in spain

April 13, 2016 05:49:43

Is there any negative point of rsms??

March 13, 2016 22:14:34

Dear sir or madam, Please suggest me. Thanks.

March 11, 2016 22:32:19

I have done certificate iii in commercial cookery and certificate iv in commercial cookery through rpl. I have seven month work experience as a cook from Hogs Breath Cafe, Australia. I came back from Australia in May 2014. Now I am in India and i have been working in a three star restaurant as a cook since June 2014. I have got 6each and over all 7.0 band score in ielts test. I want ask to you that rpl certificate iii and iv are valid or not? Can I apply for Australian PR through direct entry stream? I have got certificate iii in six moth and iv in one an half month study.

varun kumar
March 10, 2016 03:47:16

Hello I am industrial electrician .I have lot of experience in this field.Ielts gen 5 band score .please inform me.how I will apply 457

Renu bala
February 13, 2016 05:08:47

I have done diploma in hospitality management and certificate 3 in cookery from Australia 2011. Came back India in 2012. Now i want to come back Australia on 457 or rsms visabis it possible. I got 6 each in PTE.pls suggest. Thanks

February 07, 2016 10:27:30

Hi I would just like to find out do I have to do a skills assessment in order for me to apply for a chef sponsorship. Also I do reside in South African so my first language is English so do I really have to do the English test. Your response will be highly appreciated

November 08, 2015 20:04:54

We are a Hindu temple in Australia and looking for a qualified chef who can cook good South Indian vegetarian meals AND has passed the requisite level of IELTS. Please contact by email. melbournevinayagar.org.au

October 20, 2015 01:32:22

hi I ve completed my bachelor in business and doing certificate 3 on commercial cookery 3,,do I need to do certificate 4 on commercial cookery for sponsorship .. or certificated 3 is enough for sponsorship process plz let me know

October 12, 2015 18:30:54

My name is Manpreet kaur..I done 3,4 and diploma in commercial cookery and diploma in hospitality after that I done 4 certificate in business.can my employer sponsor me as a manager on certificate 4 in business.

Rani brar
September 19, 2015 02:13:58

hi I have done diploma in business management . I have 3 and half year experience from nz country. I got 7 band in each module . Now i am living in India . Can i apply for parmanent residence for Austrila . I am eagerly waiting for you and any other requirement??

September 11, 2015 22:05:21

hi my name is prince i am in austyand I completed my diploma in cookery and i am working in restaurant what i can do for my permanent resident

Sarbjit kumar
August 27, 2015 14:43:48

hi.i am sarbjit from India.I want a sponsorship from any restrurent from Australia.I did diploma in cooking.I am doing a job as a chef in hotel.I want to know that is there any retrurent who will sponsor me.I am living in India.

August 14, 2015 02:44:10

I did certificate Iv from Australia around 4 years ago presently I am in India. Am I eligible for 457 visa

August 08, 2015 17:00:27

Hello sir, I am going to open Indian Restaurent in Australia. I want to sponsor my brother as a Tandoori Chef. He done 3 Month cookery course 5 years ago. He is working as a Tandoori chef . What are the requirements.

Steve Sheridan
July 29, 2015 09:06:09

Hello Chefs, Sous Chefs or Chef de Partie, looking for an opportunity in Australia we have a Country Hotel in Western Australia and are looking for a candidate that would be interested in relocating to Australia on a 457 VISA. If you are looking for a change in life and a great opportunity please email me with your resume. Applications close 1st September 2015 tashospitality@hotmail.com Regards Steve

July 23, 2015 08:49:03

hi i am Navi . I have completed my diploma of business. I just wanna to confirm that can i get sponsor as manager on this diploma or i need any bachelor degree for this position . and one more thing can i get sponsor as manager on professional accouting degree thanks

July 12, 2015 22:49:58

Hi, I want to sponsor my son - he has a pastry chef diploma with experience in 5* dining . Currently he is working in South Africa as a production Manager and Head Chef. What must I do? Thanks

July 07, 2015 04:03:06

I have done certificate iii in commercial cookery and certificate iv in commercial cookery through rpl but I don't have any experience and want to apply 457 visa do I need any experience

May 11, 2015 22:22:30

Hi, i want to inquire if my employer can sponsor me with a 457 working visa. I have recently finished my advance diploma in hospitality (commercial cookery). i have been working with them 2 years now, (20 hours/ week). do i have to get a assessment skill in TRA? according to australian bureau of statistic i am qualified as a chef because of my educational attainment. and i am not required to have a 3 years experience in the said field. by the way im working in a dining and catering restaurant. hoping for your response. thank you so much

rajpal singh
April 24, 2015 10:28:52

It's great to be working in Australia I like to work in Australia so please can you help me about visa to applyfor aAustralia how to do and what to do I just wanna know how to get visa for Australia because I want want to go there and work in Australia please tell me thank you so much with best wishes

March 27, 2015 22:29:29

Hi I have finished my diploma of business and certificate 4 can I apply for 457 visa as a restaurant manager

January 30, 2015 02:20:27

hi i did diploma in business. i came in australia in january 2014. can i apply for direct PR in regional area or for 457 visa? thanks

January 23, 2015 00:14:52

Hi my name is zon and I have done diploma in business mgmt and cert 3 can I apply 457 visa ?? Or do I need experiences ??

July 15, 2014 17:34:21

hi, i have Indian qualification in Bachelor in hospitality management recently completed. i would like to know is there any chance for me to get sponsorship from Australia for 457 or any other visa leading to permanent residency. Kind regards manu

June 15, 2014 18:13:11

Hi, sir my name shami , I m sponsored (457) from takeaway Restaurent as a cook , can I get pr from takeaway Restaurent after 2year,

vinod sing negi
June 14, 2014 23:03:12

sir I am a hotel management graduate and I have experience of 5 years as a cook and I have w 6 l 6.5 r 6 and speaking 5.5 bands and I have a sponsor in Australia spending me as a chef is skill assessment test necessary and where to do it from India.plz tell.

June 14, 2014 07:34:16

Hi i have finished diploma management advanced diploma management and renew for new visa and if its possible to take a course certificate of hospitality to advanced diploma of hospitality for my new visa? Thanks

Deeny chef bakery .
June 11, 2014 23:29:33

Hello, My name is Deeny, Now I am working at Resort in the south Thailand. I very interest about visa chef at Australia. But I don't know, how I can do it, and can go working at Australia Who know, please help tell me, Thank you so much. Deeny.

May 19, 2014 03:22:48

Hi my name is Payal.. I did business management. In diploma... I did further visa apply but it was rejected last year.. Can I go through this 457 visa on business management. If employer can sponser me well... Thnx

April 28, 2014 21:39:22

Hello, I have completed the Certificate 3 and 4 at TAFE NSW and I have currently working experience. Which visas can I apply to have full working rights in Australia? Also, what documents do I have to present?

March 04, 2014 03:45:22

I have done my commercial cookery certifice Level iii, and Level iv and I'm having relevent working experience and how can I apply for any bridging visa with full of working righys

January 10, 2014 07:22:14

Hi..I want just inquiries about my brother he did complete bechlour degree in hotel management from India in 2013 after that how much experience he need get for Australia 457 as a cook visa?

shreeram bhattarai
November 27, 2013 17:22:16

Hi my name is shree I have done my certificate 3 of 1 year and working as a cook since 1 year. now my employer willing to do sponsor . Can I apply for it. Right now I am on dependent visa my wife is a student plz ssuggest me. Thanks

Shaikh Salam Kazi
November 03, 2013 02:56:45

Dear Sir,My name is Shaikh Salam Kazi. I live in Chiba-Ken, Tokyo, Japan.  regarding the IELTS test in which I received an overall score of 3.0. An Indian Restaurant employee in Australia in Sunshine Coast, Queensland who is willing to sponsor me to work as an Indian Tandoor Chef and provide me with the paperwork. I have an overall experience of 15 years in this area. Is it possible for me to directly apply for Permanent Residency with this IELTS score and apply to work for this employee. If this is possible than could you kindly provide me with the details such as immigration fee, lawyer fee and other fees with other important details such as the duration of the P.R. process. I will be waiting for your reply. Thank You for your time. Yours Sincerely, Shaikh Salam Kazi

August 26, 2013 04:22:11

hi,there.i am on a 457 visa working as a cook in a restaurant.i have been working there for the past one year and I have a work experience of four years from overseas as a chef.i have completed my cert 3 and 4 of commericial cookery from Australia.is it possible for me to apply for PR in a years work experience or do I have to wait for two years...... thanks

August 25, 2013 01:37:08

Hi,I am Santhosh from India, I would like to apply for PR, do I need degree certificate attestation from Australian High Commision from India. Please advise me in what attestation need for my degree certificate. Already my certicate attested by apostele. Thanks you for your reply, Regards. Santhosh

Ramandeep kaur
July 22, 2013 04:13:45

Hi I have certificate 3 and diploma in commercial cookery and I want to apply 457 visa now what I need to do and is it possible to apply 457 visa through this thanks.

June 06, 2013 19:57:05

Hi I m sukh I did business management Can I apply for restaurant manager on 457 visa

May 14, 2013 11:52:48

Hi .. I have done certi 3 in hospitality and diploma in hospitality .... I want apply 457 visa ......is it possible??

smandeep singh
May 03, 2013 10:24:08

i have done diploma in commercial cookery and diploma of business management... i am working as a plasterer , my boss willing to sponsor me can i get 457 visa??

Ramandeep kaur
May 02, 2013 01:15:39

hi i have done certificate iii in commercial cookery and diploma in hospitality,can i eligible for applying for applying 457 visa.thanks

Ranjit Uppal
April 23, 2013 19:37:14

Hi there, My name is ranjit. I have done my certificate three in commercial cookery. Can I get sponserd for 457 visa only on bases of my certificate three. Thanks

April 10, 2013 06:46:10

Hi it's harpreet.i have finished dip.of business management nd cert-111 in commercial cookery.nd working as client service manager.so can my boss applied offshore Sponsership.thax. Look forward to hear u.

Guri Dhillon
April 03, 2013 03:56:58

Hi sir am guri..I have done one year diploma of business management and my boss sponsor me for as a manager..I can apply for 457 visa..

March 23, 2013 01:48:39

Hi I have done certificate 4 in business and diploma of business . I have sponsorship . What requirement I need

March 14, 2013 02:47:28

i have done certificate 3 in commercial cookery and experience of 3yrs and 7month and cook and now as chef full time m i eligible for 457 or any other visa category my english test prove me as score of 7 band each

March 10, 2013 04:09:47

Hi there i am looking for a sponsor . I have 457 visa but I want to change my employer for some reason . Can u help me for this.

March 03, 2013 02:35:28

Hi, I'm Tracy. I'm planning to do certificate 3 and 4 in commercial cookery? Is it possible if an Chinese restaurant would like to sponsor me as a Cook? Is there any problems if I study about commercial cookery but work for Chinese restaurant? My IELTS is overall 6.0 and no band is less than 5. Thanks

February 15, 2013 19:08:02

hi sir i want to know that i m working in indian restaurant and my employer ready to sponcer me in 457 visa subclass and i have certificate 4 in commercial cookery and certificate 4 in hospitality management.i want to know should i need a tra assessment if yes what r the requirement for tra.thank you plz answer me .

February 08, 2013 06:54:07

Want to emergrate to Australia my hubby is qualified chef but he is 53 is that too old?

February 07, 2013 19:39:54

Hello I would like to asking about What's Visa I can apply next, after I'm finishing of Advance Diploma Commercial cookery in 08 November, 2013. This course will complete with 93 weeks studied. I have been in Australia almost 3 year with studied and working (20 hours per week) in the cook position two and half years experience. Could please give me information. Which Visa can I apply next. Regards,

February 01, 2013 04:50:44

dear sir or madam my name is Jun and i have been working as a chef since 2002 august including Nepal, Sydney Australia, and United Kingdom. i want to move permanently Australia so far, i have completed bachelors degree from Nepal and 1 yr Diploma in Hospitality management from Sydney. now i am working as a sous chef in one of the chain successful restaurant in united kingdom. and i had given IELTS as well. the score was 5.5 overall. 6,6,5.5,4.5, speaking, writing, listening and reading respectively. so please let me know if i am eligible for the residency for AUS. and i am married as well. thank you regards Jun

January 20, 2013 04:53:39

Dear Sir, My name is Shaikh Salam Kazi. I live in Chiba-Ken, Tokyo, Japan. I regarding the IELTS test in which I received an overall score of 3.0. An Indian Restaurant employee in Australia in Sunshine Coast, Queensland who is willing to sponsor me to work as an Indian Tandoor Chef and provide me with the paperwork. I have an overall experience of 15 years in this area. Is it possible for me to directly apply for Permanent Residency with this IELTS score and apply to work for this employee. If this is possible than could you kindly provide me with the details such as immigration fee, lawyer fee and other fees with other important details such as the duration of the P.R. process. I will be waiting for your reply. Thank You for your time.   Yours Sincerely, Shaikh Salam Kazi

December 12, 2012 23:38:39

I completed cer three in asian cookery.i did diploma and advance diploma in hospitalty.is TRA assesment is nucessary for apply457 visa.or what requirements i need to fullfill.

November 07, 2012 06:22:01

I am on bridging visa a, I have cert111 in cookery and diploma of buissness managent of one year can I apply 457 as a cook

manjit kaur
November 05, 2012 22:11:16

hi there my self manjit kaur from india. i got 4 year exp as cook and tandoori cook .i used to run a Indian takeaway i nsw . i studied hospitality management and commercial cookery from Brisbane . then i have to leave country . so i am looking for 457 visa .i will really thankful to you .

October 19, 2012 22:38:04

Hi this is Sid i got 457 visa october 2012 , how long I have to wait to convert 457 to pr , and whats English requirement thanks

September 19, 2012 08:03:52

i have completed cert 3 in commercial cookery and diploma in business.and i have a experiance of 1year of part time in australia (paid) . and 1 year of full time in india . as a cook. but i just finish my cert 3 now. my employer want to sponsor me . can i apply for 457? so pls reply me ASAP. THANK YOU.

August 23, 2012 17:32:20

I have a 485 visa which expires in july 2013. I have found an employer willing to sponsor me. Which visa do i apply for.. the RSMS 857?

July 30, 2012 03:53:48

Hi, i have finished my diploma of hairdressing and i have done diploma of business management and diploma of business and marketing. i have sponcer in regional area but i dont have my english requirment each 6.0.can i apply now for 457 visa but can i apply for RSMS visa ones i get 457 visa.That meas can i convert my 457 visa in RSMA when i get english requirment.

July 29, 2012 10:59:52

Hello...its been only two months i m in 457 visa ..before that i had worked 5 yrs as a part time in same buisness and in same company..so i want apply permanent residence as soon as i can..am i eligble to apply for residence if yes whats the procesd...

July 23, 2012 21:20:14

i have studied community welfare,diploma and advance diploma in business management, am i eligable for 457 visa and have a pr.

July 16, 2012 22:56:20

i've been living in australia for 10 years now and working as a chef last 4 years, am i eligible for permanent residency?

satish negi
July 15, 2012 15:54:14

Hi, I am studying in malaysia , diploma in hotel and catering , ii just want to know after finish my diploma , is there any options to apply for australia, as between i m also working a partime work and i havea i year expereince in reputed resturants... i worked as a cashier/server, and in kitchen also .... pls let me know weather is there any options to apply between my diploma ....

July 02, 2012 09:00:57

Hi,I have finished my advance diploma in hospitality management with cert 111 in commercial cookery.Am I eligible to apply for 457 visa as a cook. I don't have cert 1V.is advance diploma has a same value as cert 1V in cookery. Thanks Raman

June 15, 2012 18:16:53

hi i got 457 visa and i want to apply pernment residence what is the requirment for me ??? i have 4 years (20 hours per week) working experiance as a cook and i have not apply for TRA .. what should i do please let me know thanx...:)

June 10, 2012 19:49:25

Hi, I've completed an Australian Diploma in Hospitality and also an Advanced Diploma in Management. Have over 3 years local (Australian) experience as a cook. I now have a sponsor willing to employ me on a 457 Visa (SBS already approved). Do I need to complete a skills assessment for a cook, even when I have an Australian qualification as cook?

May 25, 2012 03:46:51

hi,i am working as a cook in south Australia.i want to apply for a 457 visa.i need a pass skill assessment test.thanks reply me ASAP

Biju Shrestha
April 11, 2012 10:43:52

Hi, i have been trying to find job in australia in kitchen dept.i have completed diploma in culinary arts from cyprus in 2012, and more than 3 years of experience in on of the restaurant in cyprus as Assistant Head Chef.what are tha requirement do i need to find employer.

sandeep kaur
March 20, 2012 10:34:45

hi! this is sandeep. i have done advance diploma and cert 3 in cookery and on bridging visa. i am wondering that i am living in WA so will it be beneficial if i got rsms sponsorship? what will be the requirement for me and to my employer?thanks...........!!!!!!!!

Raj kapoor
January 24, 2012 05:01:31

i have done hotel management in 2007, from last 4 years , i m working in kitchen as chef. now i have got employer in australia offering me job on 457 basis. so what all test i have to qualify for imigration.?

December 26, 2011 00:14:53

hi, I and my wife living in melboune australia i finished my diploma in haspitality in melboune. now i am in bridging visa 485, can you help me to get a regional employer sponsorship for RSMS visa. by mohnadas

September 04, 2011 20:15:36

I have applied for my tr in 2009 on the basis on cook experience and qualification. Can I apply for my pr on the basis of I year experience now 20 hours per week.

July 31, 2011 16:43:07


July 10, 2011 04:40:40

I have finished with my diploma in hospitality and certificate 3 in commercial cookery and have been applied for 485 visa currently on bridging visa ,can I apply for PR and how.thanks

May 22, 2011 21:04:06

hi we have been living in Australia from 4years my wife has done advance diploma in hospitality management in commercial cookery.I want to apply for rsms visa . do u have any oppertunity for us. plz answer then we can contact u as soon as possible.

Pawan kumar
April 25, 2011 03:45:35

My 457 visa is apply by an australian citigen(Propietor) one month ago in australia immigration office. I have an experience of more than 3 year's in tandoor dept. And having hotel management diploma of one year. And senior secondry school pass. Can my experience and qualification is applicable for this visa 457 for 2 year.

April 22, 2011 17:05:19

I have a question on the rsms? If a p.r. Visa is working for a company that they are not happy working with but finds another regional sponsor and resigns formally and goes to work under the new sponsor will there be any threat for this person to lose their visa?

March 31, 2011 01:31:27

Hey, Just wondering if you do apply 457 visa for workers at all? Kind regards Tina

Leave your comment here

* these are required fields

Name : *     

  This name will be published with your comment

Email address (must be valid) : *   
  Your email address will not be published

Comment : *

Please enter the code below :